Thursday, December 5, 2013

International Recognition for Girls' Generation, NOT Hate, Please and Thank You

            If you know K-pop, then there’s no way for you to not know who Girls’ Generation (GG) is. Girls’ Generation not only stunned the audience to silence by winning the first-ever YouTube Music Awards but they also made 5th place on the list of ‘Top 10 songs of 2013’ by Time Entertainment. As a Sne myself, I am very pleased with the many accomplishments of GG. Well, then my feeling of Korean pride nearly vanishes when haters comment things like, “I've never even heard of Girls’ Generation before.”


            Okay, let me set things clear – it’s not a crime itself to have had never heard of Girls’ Generation when you live in America. But wouldn't it be great for Americans who have never heard of them react positively when GG wins a big award like the YTMA? Unfortunately, we don't live in a world like that. I have to admit, I've had the whole "But I've never heard of them before"-type of complaint myself too. However, here's my argument: Girls' Generation have been on the "David Letterman Show" AND "Live! With Kelly", so it's not like Americans were just thrown in their face this unexpected Asian girl group taking home the prize, GG has attempted to make themselves be known in America. But I'm holding true to my word - I'm not pointing fingers at anyone for not knowing who Girls' Generation is. My point is, why can't we accept that not everyone can win?

            Oh, sweetie Tiffany, the GG member that came to America to represent her group, made it sound like as if GG only won because of their fans. She was being humble, not being all pompous and flat out saying they won because they're awesome. Oh, yes, fans did play a key part in their victory but to the haters that are sitting around grumbling that they only won because of their fans and are degrading GG's many talents - think about this: Why do you think Girls' Generation even has a lot of fans? No, not just Korean fans. Not just Asian fans. All around the world. Girls' Generation deserved the award. I have to say that I Got a Boy is not my personal favorite, but check out their other music videos - they can sing and dance. Now, Psy's Gentleman was also a nominee and I want to say that I think it's because he had a ridiculous video go viral before Gentleman, gaining him immediate international recognition. Girls' Generation's music video for Gee actually was the most viewed Korean music video until Gangnam Style rolled around. 

            My regret is that SM Entertainment, GG's company, would have pulled a JYP, Wonder Girls' company, and had GG's American debut song, "The Boys" be played on the radio and all of that. But it's not like SM just sat around doing nothing - in the big screen in Times Square played the preview for Girls' Generation and like I said, GG were on a couple of American T.V. shows. Plus at the same time, I understand why SM didn't pull a JYP, that would mean sacrificing a lot of time spent on promotions in the home country Korea and Japan for Girls' Generation. Can't win them all.

            Okay, let me pause trying to sound all professional and rant real quickly - the audience was HORRIBLE as Tiffany went up for the award and deliver her word of thanks, no one even clapped. To the audience that had the case of frogs being stuck on their throat, who cares if you're clueless on who Girls' Generation is, the least you can do is slam your two hands together! Check out other videos of places where Girls' Generation has won awards (that shouldn't be difficult at all since they've won countless numbers of awards, so you've got plenty to choose from) and see how the audience goes crazy for GG because we all know that as long as GG is on the list, that's just a 99% guarantee that they will win. This is the superiority of Girls' Generation whether you like it or not.


(692)

No comments:

Post a Comment