Thursday, September 26, 2013

The Addition of Substitute Holidays in South Korea

           Korean workers and students are cheering on the new legislation about substitute holidays that was recently passed. The exciting news was announced this past August 28th and will be carried out starting this coming October. What is this new legislation about? Whenever a holiday (such as the Lunar New Year, Chuseok, and Children's Day) is on a weekend, workers and students get one more day off.

          Workers in Korea has the longest work hours in the Organization of Economic Cooperation Development (#1) and the vast majority of high school students, along with some middle school students, are pressured to study hard while being cooped up in their school for at least 10 hours are in desperate need of more days off. Compared to the amount of breaks America has, Korea does not have many, and they only have about 14 public holidays a year (#1). According to the new legislation, it is only when the public holiday falls on a weekend that an additional day is given for break, not every time there is a holiday. So this is enough to improve the quality of life in Korea while managing to maintain its productivity, in my humble opinion.

          But there are others who voice out their disapproval, particularly the high-ranked people in the business field (#2). Their complaints are that they will have to pay their workers more while they get more days off. But this sounds to me a much exaggerated complaint due to the fact that the reality is a majority of Korean workers are overworked and underpaid (#2).

          I understand that although Korea is officially labeled as a developed country, its country is still not developed enough to compete with the other international markets and blah blah, and the details that I don't know about. Therefore I understand that in order to compete, Korea must educate its students strictly and work their workers hard. But to me, those people who are supposedly afraid that allowing substitute holidays will slow down production sound like they're just being stingy. Like I said, a vast majority of Korea workers are overworked and underpaid and yet their bosses are complaining about paying them more, what, every two holidays a year? Not even, I don't know when public holidays generally fall on weekends. But do you see my point? I don't think this new legislation of substitute holidays is asking for too much and is an unmeetable demand.

          As a Korean-American living in America, I long to live in Korea! But the one thing that gives me relief that I don't live there is the schooling. Oh my. We Americans think we've got it bad (but don't get me wrong, we do), but Korea's education system is probably the worst. I know that one Korean high school that teaches trignometry to freshmen ~ sophomores (yes, this is accurate) who aren't all even capable of taking that high level of math and I've heard someone from the “outside” wonder if it's necessary for all students to be taught that. I mean, shouldn't the ones who are majoring in math the only ones to take such an advanced class? So I agree that since Korea is a less developed country than America, it may just be necessary that students go to school more days than here but I feel like they go too far sometimes.

          So my point is, this new legislation for substitute holidays is a much-needed, great idea and it just confuses me that some have complaints about it. Now I know that I'm not posting this after I've done 100% of all my research but, knowing so well how Korea's education system works (I know this part more than how it is in the work force), I have to say, this new legislation is one of the praiseworthy acts that first female president of South Korea, Park Keun Hye, has done.(643)



Sources:



No comments:

Post a Comment