Thursday, September 19, 2013

Things You may do Which are Frowned Upon in Korea


It is homecoming week at my school and tomorrow is Hawaiian Day. I don’t own any Hawaiian-style clothing but that doesn’t mean I’ll put a flower on my head instead. Why? Because in South Korea, putting a flower on your head means you are crazy. Like, out of your mind. To the best of my knowledge, the people who’ve gone insane back in the olden days would put flowers on their heads and well, be insane. But the point of this isn’t to diss Hawaiians or the many people who have been taking up this trend, not at all! Actually, more girls in Korea have been sporting flower hair accessories lately, so you don’t need to feel the need to burn all of your pretty flower hair accessories. I personally have some interest in hairstyles, and I find the various, creative flower hair accessories to be pretty, but I can’t help but purse my lips and look the other way.

Another thing you may do often without any clue that it’s problematic in Korean culture is bouncing your leg(s) up and down. I bet some of you readers are shaking your legs in your seat as you read this post at this moment. What’s the problem now? Well, in South Korea, bouncing your leg impatiently/nervously is what the… delinquent students do. Adding to this, chewing your gum obnoxiously is also a known characteristic of those problem kids. By delinquent students, I’m referring to those students who don’t study, beat up and take other kids’ money, drink underage, etc. But I’m not too sure if delinquent students are still like this today, since I don’t live in Korea. Anyway, when you’re visiting Korea, and you’re sitting in a subway or some other public area, I advise that you refrain from bouncing your leg up and down. Chances are, some elderly person in the subway will either glare at you or maybe even yell at you. (But chances are slim if you’re a 외국인 – a foreigner). Koreans today tend to overlook wearing flowers on your head and chewing gum obnoxiously, but I don’t think they’ll let the leg-bouncing pass. My mom (who was born and raised in Korea) has said she just feels nervous when someone is bouncing their leg up and down, as if they’re nervous themselves. Plus she always calls me out when I’m found bouncing my leg up and down.

No comments:

Post a Comment