Thursday, March 13, 2014

Fine Dust Particles In Korea

          Fine dust particles have started to take over in Korea. What will the future environment of Korea look like with all the hard-to-get-rid-of fine dust flying around? This is a good question to ask because Korea has been especially on the high rise nowadays, in economics and the entertainment industry, and with all the growing interest, more people are seeking to live their but fine dust may just be an obstacle. Korea should take more measures to ensure the health and welfare of its citizens from the fine dust and of the newcomers. 

          I've been hearing about the term, "미세먼지" (fine dust) on a popular Korean portal site and never really thought much about it nor did I knew what it was exactly, up until very recently, that is. Related search keywords that I would see on that Korean portal site would be "How to get rid of fine dust" and I just thought it was just one of those temporary or seasonal issues that Koreans were talking about. Then I started hearing about it on Gag Concert, and then my dad had visited Korean just a little over a week ago and he talked about how bad the air was there. He brought this up when I mentioned moving to Korea one day and he said that Korea's not going to be the best place to live in because the air was so bad. I was alarmed by this and I asked what is this fine dust that everyone was talking about and then once I got my answers, it finally seeped into my brain that this was not such a light issue. I personally have hopes of moving to Korea and I'm a health-freak (okay, more like a germaphobe), and polluted air is not appealing at all. 

         Wanting to assure myself that although it's serious right now, the dust will pass and all will be well, I said to my dad that it'll be different when I go there. His claim was that China's factories will continuously produce fine dust, which will inevitably be blown into the Korean peninsula. Korea should be mindful of this and know that this recent trouble with the fine dust will probably not go away. As a well-developed country, Korea should look at this as a big picture, meaning their future, and take into consideration what actions can be taken to at least reduce fine dust levels, for its sake of being a prosperous country.


(411)

No comments:

Post a Comment