Saturday, February 27, 2016

Introducing Korea's Hot TV Show: "Mask King"

I mentioned before that along with Gag Concert, I watch "Mask King (복면가왕)". This is a music show where any famous person - comedian, actor, singer, athlete - can come on stage and sing without anyone having prejudice against them because they're wearing a mask! So the performer can showcase their singing skills while the audience comprised of ordinary people and celebrities try to guess who the performer is.


Click here for picture source

But this isn't a plain concert. It's a competition. Those who perform compete with another through a series of rounds to reach the "throne". And the competition continues as more performers are recruited for more episodes as they try to take the throne. 

I can't help but think as I watch that this is yet another incredible idea for a television program. Countless numbers of boy group and girl group members prejudiced as incompetent singers have redeemed their reputations, old-time singers could enjoy the stage again, and lots of comedians have surprised the public with their sweet vocals. 

And I just love how "lenient" Korean television is. Can you imagine America having a show like this? Isn't the thought of Zac Efron, Scarlett Johansson, and Anne Hathaway pulling on a mask, coming on stage unidentified except with a nickname they made up, singing on stage (all three of these actors can sing, by the way. You can find out who else in Hollywood can sing here)? But this is the difference in cultures. Also, most Hollywood actors and actresses who can sing do sing in their movies, so I guess it's not too much of a surprise there. But who knows. Maybe Jimmy Fallon can sing too.

There's something that has concerned me, however. I read an article informing that "Mask King" will now recruit singers of foreign countries on the show as well. The comments were unkind as people complained that it's because there's a limit to singers in Korea. But I doubt that. This show allows more than just singers to come on the show. Plus I think this Korean show should be limited to Korea, just because, how are Korean viewers supposed to guess who's behind the mask? One of the people who commented on the article also said, "I don't even think Adele knows where Korea is". Then another commented that the article didn't say the show will invite singers from America, necessarily. Whichever country the singer may be from, why do they want to make themselves known in Korea? I think that's a valid question. Sometimes change can be hard and I don't want this show that I've come to like to change its structure so much.

No comments:

Post a Comment