Saturday, October 26, 2013

How Koreans View America and Vice Versa

          With this blog post, I would like to bring light to fellow Americans how highly praised they are by Koreans. The subject that is required for students to learn is English and that is what they study like crazy. America is the land that's wide and spacious and with so many wonders to see while Korea is the small, dense country.

          I guess a way for fellow Americans to see it is this - most of us would marvel when someone says they're going to study abroad in a place like, Paris or London, right? Well, America is there up on the list of Paris and London to Koreans. Also, I don't think not many Americans realize this, but, speaking English fluently is such a great privilege because it is an international language. So I just want to shake some Americans and shout at them, "Do you know how blessed you are to speak fluent English?!?!"

          Now how do Americans view Korea, as I see it? On a large scale, I think Americans immediately think of North Korea and aren't informed about how they might just have Korean products in their house. (Click here to learn more). But there is a minority group of Americans who enjoy K-pop and/or K-dramas or just the Korean culture itself and to them, Korea is the dreamland. Which is weird because I know how Koreans view America.

           I got my friend this cool, colored pencil set for her birthday and the others at her birthday party were asking if it was an Asian product and I'm thinking, "Uhh...No..." And I told my dad this and he said that back in the olden days in Korea, it was cool whenever someone had a product from America but now it's the other way around. Which I know it's very true since I have experience as evidence of it, even back in elementary school, my fellow classmates were amused by my Korean hanboks and explanation of food and what not. So this shift delights me since I love Korea and although it's not every American (yet), there are my friends who are interested in Korea and daydream about their future life in Korea and it makes me very proud to be Korean. I've even met people who freaked out on me because I was the first Korean they've ever met and they loved Koreans. So Koreans as a whole all view America greatly for the most part and Americans are slowly starting to do so for Korea as well.


(422)

No comments:

Post a Comment