Saturday, October 26, 2013

South Korean Gag -men and -women

          In my previous blog post, I talked about Korean comedy - "gag". I also talked about 'Gag Concert', but I did not tell you specific gag -men and -women.

          South Korea actually has a pretty long history of its gag -men and -women, who has always been popular. But 'Gag Concert' has definitely been popularly loved these days and the gag -men and -women of 'Gag Concert' can show off fame not too unlike that of K-pop idols.

          These Gag -men and -women, just like your Korean artists, have all undergone audition processes to be accepted into an agency. Just like how Korean idols are referred to as "rookies" immediately after they debut, it's the same with these comedians.

          I talk about Korean Gag because it's a large part of Korean culture. The genius comedians come up with hit catchphrases or trendy items that they use on stage (such as Brownie). These catchphrases or the latest fad set by the Gag -men and -women shape the modern Korean society. But these do not just spring out of the comedians, they are formed through hours of brainstorming late into the night. I've heard of an instance when the rookie gagman of a certain corner would come up with all the jokes and ideas and then all the senior gagmen would be the ones relaying them on stage. So either way, the gag -men and -women all work hard to come up with the best performance to put on.

          I don't think I explained well enough how these corners are really like in my other blog post on Korean gag. Most of the time, they are like segments of just any regular show, and this is where the gagwomen could convey the clingy girlfriend to the gagmen who is playing the role of her boyfriend. And the other rare times, a couple of them stand and tell jokes, not like, knock-knock jokes, but they also do a little acting. For example, in a corner that has recently started on 'Gag Concert' is these two men who haven't had girlfriends in the past 20 years or so and one would ask the other, "Have you worn a couple ring before?" and the other would say the "punchline" by saying, "What's a couple ring?" 

          So obviously, these gag -men and -women need to be able to act. Very different from the comedians on your American comedy shows like 'Comedy Central', right? At least from my very little knowledge of it. Anyway, so because these gag -men and -women are also acting, they sometimes get to play the cameos of a funny character on K-dramas. For example, maybe there's an attractive girl walking along the street and all the boys are gaping over her and these boys would be played by gagmen since they can make the most hilarious facial expressions. 

          I also am a fan of a number of gag -men and -women and let me spazz - they are awesome. I have to say, I like them almost as much as I like  my Korean singers. These gag -men and -women have to sacrifice their image by doing silly, embarrassing things to bring laughter to Korea and I respect that. And because they do these things, they're so humble. So there you have it - how Korean gag -men and -women are. 


(559)
       

No comments:

Post a Comment