Saturday, April 9, 2016

Marriages between Celebrities: Korea or Hollywood

There's been very recent news of an upcoming marriage between an actor and an actress in the Korean entertainment industry and this reminded me of the Korean blog post I read this week. The blogger talked about how celebrities take dating too lightly, only marry if they get pregnant, and then divorce soon after although they swore their love "to death do us apart". 

This is not a peculiar thing that only applies to Korea - it's no secret that Hollywood stars have a lot of marriage troubles as well.

But I find it sadly interesting that Koreans have been increasingly taking marriage lightly - at least Korean celebrities have. 

Of course not all Korean celebrities have marriage troubles. Plus marriage issues for Korean celebrities aren't really anything new. 

But Korean culture as a whole takes marriage very seriously. That's how traditional Korean culture goes - marriage isn't a light matter. Parents of both sides need to give their approval (as you may have probably seen in K-dramas, in which case the mother of the rich man almost never approves), and Korean parents are very picky about whom to entrust their son or daughter to in marriage. 

However I see a steady decline in this tradition and culture. Sure, parents are still involved in some way but not as much as before. I'm not advocating tyrannical, forced arranged marriage situations. I just feel like you should have your parents meet the love of your life and see what they have to say. Parents are older and wiser. And I feel times have just changed a lot. 

As for me, I want to see Korea go back to the old way of things. Back when they didn't need to "eat the cake before the wedding". I don't know how much of this is true in real life, but I've heard "conspiracies" of eating the cake first in Korean comedy shows and I think maybe in a K-drama as well. It's sad to even hear such tricks devised on T.V. for a fictional scenario. Of course, I do wish for the true marital happiness of Hollywood stars as well. But Korea used to be more tight about marriage and I want that to be restored.

No comments:

Post a Comment