Tuesday, April 19, 2016

What I Mean By "Proud Korean"

I identify myself as a Korean-American, yet I have proclaimed myself to be a "proud Korean" on several occasions. These occasions include the time I marveled at the displays of the Folk Village on Korean broadcast television, the time when figure skater Yuna Kim won the gold medal at the Winter Olympics, the time I listened to Miss Korea Honey Lee sing a Korean epic song, and more. They are the times when I viewed South Korean traditions and when South Korea gained worldwide renown.
And these are purely Korean, which is why I specifically say "proud Korean".



South Korean flag; Picture source: flagpedia.net




When I proclaim I am a proud Korean, I proclaim the pride I feel to have the same Korean blood as the rhythmic gymnast Son Yeon Jae, the members of Girls' Generation, actor Park Bo Gum, the founder of Samsung, and many others who are loved by people all over the world. South Korea is not the United States of America where it is almost guaranteed that Hollywood stars will be loved all over the world. South Korea is small in geographical size and still has ways to go to gain worldwide recognition. That is why when the spotlight falls on South Korea I find myself giddy and delighted for the nation itself and to point out I too am a Korean.

When I proclaim I am a proud Korean, I proclaim my deep admiration of the various traditions that have developed Korea. These include traditional instruments such as the kayagŭm or the Kaya harp, the traditional attire called hanbok. I find Korean traditions to be beautiful. Of course modern day South Korea is far from these traditional roots in that South Korea has become western in some ways while still maintaining a distinct South Korean style. I find it regretful that these Korean traditions are under-appreciated nowadays and is rarely visited by the new generation of South Koreans. Yet when the pure beauty of traditional Korea is revealed, I am quick to call myself a "proud Korean".




Miss Korea (2006) Honey Lee performing a Korean epic song along with the kayagŭm in hanbok.
Picture source: Saram Entertainment found in Sports Hankooki



I think it is also because I have always admired Korea from afar that I desire to affiliate myself with these Korean traditions and achievements, to shorten the distance between me and Them (the Koreans). I was also raised in Korean culture, taught the Korean language, and fed Korean food. However the American culture that has always been around me often infiltrated into my development as a person, making me different than Them and giving me totally different experiences than Theirs. But I am not completely different. I'm Korean-American, not just American nor just Korean. There is still Korean in me. So when I say I am a "proud Korean", I join in with rejoicing with Korea over its achievements and sharing in the pride of being Korean. It's how I brag about all that Korea is and has been.   

No comments:

Post a Comment