Thursday, May 15, 2014

My Thoughts on KARA Recruiting New Members

          I found out something new today - KARA is actually finding members to replace the two members that have left the group, and you can read more about this here. I don't know how KARA fans are feeling about this, but I have my own opinions to share.

           Just based off of a different girl group (starts with "T", ends with "-ara"), it makes me uneasy that they're replacing their members. When the two original members left, I was appalled and asked my sister, "So is it just going to be three of them now?" and she had answered yes, because that's how it was at the time. But looks like the agency's changing their minds. Like I said, I'm not sure if this is a wise move - why can't the three just be KARA by themselves? KARA is one of those "original" K-pop groups of the 21st century, they've been around for a while now. Will their fans, and the remaining members, be accepting of the new members? That's just weird. I think just the KARA members themselves would feel uncomfortable, having to adjust to dancing and singing with these newbies and even rooming with them. Plus there's also the memories of KARA as the original five - haven't they been around for too long to kind of remake those memories?

            But I wouldn't say replacing members in K-pop groups always lead to disaster. I mean, look at the Wonder Girls and U-KISS (U-KISS is a whole another topic that I may touch on later as a separate blog post) - both groups introduced new member(s) and they've been easily able to maintain their popularity. However, for the Wonder Girls, this was all within the two years of their debut. For U-KISS, as much as I love them, but the harsh truth is, they're not that popular, at least not as much in Korea as they are outside of Korea (no hate!). KARA is just the opposite of both groups - they've been around for 7 years now, to introduce new members and expect the loyal fans to love them like they're the original two members may be for asking too much. Plus, KARA is one of those mega-popular groups, which means a whole glob-ton of national and international recognition.

           Frankly, for KARA fans, the departure of the two members hurt in itself. But I feel like the wounds would be better attended to if the remaining three members just promoted by themselves, rather than hurry on with new recruits. I mean, come on, don't you agree? I guess I am a fan of KARA, but I'm not a Kamilia. So if this was another group that I am more of a fan of, then, oh yes, I would be fuming. I would be like, "How DARE they even consider replacing my unnie/oppa?!" So let me know how you feel about this situation, so I can find out if I'm alone in these opinions or not. :)


(484)

No comments:

Post a Comment