Saturday, May 10, 2014

The Return of g.o.d

          g.o.d is a Korean boy group that debuted in 1999 and you can read more about them here. They released a new album in 12 years and it has been super successful, and I personally like their song, Ugly Duckling, as well. What I want to focus on in this post is about the member Yoon Kye Sang, and his contribution to the making of this album as he had left the group back in 2004.

         K-pop is a crazy world. If you are into it, you may either know of this or you may not know it because you just look at the fun it offers. But behind all the glamour and fun-filled stages of K-pop artists is lots of untold secrets and stress, which Simon and Martina of Eatyourkimchi, Canadian vloggers in Korea, talk more about here. So within this crazy world of Korean pop music, there are the on-screen dramas that are shared with the public, such as a member leaving the group.

        It thrills me that Yoon Kye Sang had put in his voice into Ugly Duckling - it's a surprise, really. I watched an episode of a show where him and all the g.o.d members were on and they were talking about their misunderstandings and resentments they had held against each other. And really, Yoon Kye Sang did not have any intention of doing anything g.o.d-related, only because he wasn't sure he could with all the fans he had disappointed. But now, the group had just released a song as the full, original group just two days ago! I'm not a huge g.o.d fan, I hardly know their music, I've seen them on variety programs a lot when I was about 7 or 8 years old. But I was simply way too young to listen to their music back when they were coming out with hits. Nonetheless, their return excites me and I've got another reason for that.

        I would have to say the representative disbanded group today that fans are still divided over is TVXQ (DBSK). Now this is an area that I'm more familiar with. As one of the fans who have seen them debut, it's such unfortunate that they had to split. Many support the split, however, because of the mistreatment of JYJ when they were in the company as TVXQ. So this whole topic is pretty controversial. So there's people who like the split but then there's people who are still hoping for a reunion, and I happen to be one of them.

         While the remaining two members of TVXQ have said in the past that they were shocked by JYJ's departure and there's all of this tension, looking at g.o.d and how they could figure out the misunderstandings and reconcile with each other, I say there's still hope. It's unlikely that the original five members of TVXQ will gather and do something in the near future with the two members still being a part of SM Entertainment, but, who knows. That day could still come.


(514)

No comments:

Post a Comment