Friday, May 2, 2014

South Korea Subway Trains Collide

          I was surprised to see that the popular search items underneath the search bar on Naver, had some other news topic that wasn't related to the Sewol ferry accident. Less than a day ago from today, there was another public accident in South Korea, which you can read more about here

         First off, I am super thankful that it was an infinitely minor accident in comparison with the ferry incident, where the search for remaining passengers is still ongoing. The article above says that about 150 passengers of the subway were injured, but according to @Reuters more like 170 people were injured. But nothing severe, which is absolutely something to rejoice over.

         The article I linked above doesn't forget to mention the Sewol incident which still rings in the minds of Koreans. It shocks me that another public accident occurred not too long after the Sewol incident. I don't know, Korea has been quiet in terms of world news, some political blah-blahs here and there that I can't even understand, and then boom! I wish everything were quiet. Lim, who was interviewed, seemed to have represented the rest of the passenger well, at least in my own opinion. It's not hard to imagine how panic one would be when evacuation orders are not given right away, when you know what delayed orders in an emergency situation led to and the toll it took on the hearts of the nation. 

         My prayer is that things will die down. I know we don't live in a perfect world. But even though this subway accident is super minor, it's still a blow to the stomach, after the tragic ferry accident. From my viewpoint, it looks like Korea is recovering very slowly from the shock of Sewol, of course not at the same pace as the affected family members and friends. Yellow ribbons can still be seen. I was surprised when artists started releasing their postponed albums and thought they were brave. All of Korea have been excessively sensitive, so even laughing in public would have gotten cold stares and some curses in such a national tragedy. So it was brave for the few artists that have boldly made the effort to start things back again. I don't know if that would be the same for the television programs, whether the popular weekend shows will be broadcast again starting this weekend, but we'll see. I won't forget this accident, along with other Koreans as evident since many have shown their promise that they won't forget either. So by things dying down, I'm not saying, hey let's forget about it and be merciless, heartless people, but we shouldn't be an eternally depressed nation on earth forever, either. 


(452)

No comments:

Post a Comment